Friday, July 15, 2011

Goals and Obstacles

After winning my first show I felt invincible as though nothing could stand in the way of me and my goals. I was driven- more motivated than I had ever been. I worked hard in the gym and scheduled my life around my diet. When I didn't place I was devastated. Not only because I worked so hard, but I had put my whole heart into achieving a spot at Nationals.

This past month it has been hard to let go of the empty feeling I was left with. My motivation has not been at it's peak and I still think of that day. But some days when I am running, when I wake up, when I am lifting weights I feel it again- that spark of motivation- that drive.

The truth is you can sit around and wonder why your goals didn't happen the first time you attempted them. Or you can realize how much more you will appreciate them when you truly have to work to make them come true. “Nothing worth having in life is given to you”. “Fall down 7 times get up 8” Obstacles are part of life and every time you overcome one you get stronger mentally and are able to push harder.

I have a list of goals I hope to achieve in the next 2 years. Near the top my goal of becoming an IFBB pro still remains un-touched. Failing is part of life but being strong enough to keep going makes the difference between achieving a goal and letting it go. The course of a goal never runs as you expect it to- life often has a different path but normally that path is better than the one you hoped to take. I have decided to prepare for my next round of shows this November- I can't promise you I will win but I can promise that I will work with the same drive and motivation I had before.

This past month I have received amazing support from my boyfriend and coach Tyler. He has helped me come to terms with my loss and prepare a new game plan. He had been a huge motivation through my competition journey never letting me give up on my goal.

Today I am around 4 months out from my next endeavor and I was surprised by a competitor profile on www.bodybuilding.com. For years I have been motivated by the stories of amateurs and the articles by pro's on this website never thinking they would pick the profile I had submitted after my first show. I believe this as a sign not to give up on my dream and to expect the unexpected :)


http://www.bodybuilders.com/fitness.htm

Your Friend In Food and Fitness
Sarah Rennick


No comments:

Post a Comment