Monday, June 13, 2011

THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

When a competitor goes through contest prep the focal point is always the final week. It's in this week when everything starts to fall into place- it doesn't matter how hungry, how depleted or how ready to quit you are the end is in sight and the finale is about to take center stage.
What you loose physically in strength to be ready you gain mentally- I have learned what I am capable of, how stubborn I am and that I don't give up until I have achieved the goal that has been set in front of me.

Nothing you want as bad as this is ever easy and I would lie to say there hasn't been moments where I have been on the verge of saying “this is crazy I give up!” Instead of giving up when the temptation and the excuses were there I chose to push harder and this has made me not only a stronger competitor but a stronger person. How many times have you had a craving that you were able to say no to? Did the feeling of staying true to your goals feel better than the feeling of guilt would have? I have realized how short life is and how much more important my long term goals are then wanting something in a weak moment.


The truth is nothing feels better than standing on stage- not the food, not the parties you miss or the carefree life I could live. I like the strict lifestyle, the diet and the feeling that I accomplished something that took hard work but was able to give me passion.


Have you ever heard the saying “calm before the storm” I take competing as the opposite. The storm comes before things can become settled. The emotions, the tough workouts, the decline in energy all must happen before you can ride out the feeling of being ready and experience the joy of competing.

I have almost conquered the storm but first I have to survive my four days without carbohydrates- I have now reached the third day. On Wednesday I will be reintroduced to carbohydrates and be able to eat them right up until I step onstage. I have one more day of low energy, one more workout, one more day until I can say I survived- I did it. One more day until I can sit back and enjoy the calm and wait for my rainbow hoping to find my gold at the end :)

No comments:

Post a Comment